Sunday, February 1, 2009

Firefox starts in offline mode

I am using fedora 9 (sulphur), which I started to use a few days ago. On this I found that even though the network connection on the panel (up) as "no connection", the network is reachable. Also, I had issues with firefox and add/remove applications.

Firefox 3.0.5
The firefox 3.0.5 is found to be starting in the offline mode. So every time I had to go to the file-->offline and make it disabled so that I could access internet. This was found to be very awckward when I am in the office and working on something. Every time I had to do this.
Googling helped me to get the idea that it is the issue with network manager. Everyone was saying to disable the network manager and then the issue will be done which didn't work for me.
Another solution suggested was to edit the configuration of firefox. This can be done by typing the url about:config on the firefox.The url will give you a warning and by oversoming it you will proceed to the configuration. There you have to search for toolkit.networkmanager.disble and there you have to make it true (default will be false). This worked for me but not a general solution as the network manager is causing me problem in add/remove application too.

Further investigation revealed me that another sokution will work for the both.

Solution :
1. Open the System->Administration->Network which will the network configuration.
2. Select the edit for wired connection (or wireless) eth0 (eth0 for me).
3. In the General tab tick the check box saying Controlled by NetworkManager.
4. Click ok and exit.

Now if you restart firefox everything will work very fine.

Add/Remove

This application was giving the error saying that the network is not connected.
The same solution will work for add/remove apllication also.

Solution :
1. Open the System->Administration->Network which will the network configuration.
2. Select the edit for wired connection (or wireless) eth0 (eth0 for me).
3. In the General tab tick the check box saying Controlled by NetworkManager.
4. Click ok and exit.

Cheers !!!!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this help.
    Little notice: you should say: fedora 9 instead of fedora *core* 9 . Since the 7th release, 'core' is no longer appended to the name ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the information. Recently only, I started to use fedora. I was using debian before. I am really sorry for the wrong naming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same issue and after googling it, I found you can fix this by setting "toolkit.networkmanager.disable" property of Firefox to "true". Type about:config in the address bar and copy and paste toolkit.networkmanager.disable there and set its value to true by double clicking on it. I even blogged it. Hope this will help you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did the about:config and did a search for the toolkit.networkmanager.disable and couldn't find it, any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete