Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Accessing Windows Printer from Linux

In an organization the printers can be connected to windows. SO there should be some way to connect to the windows printer from linux. CUPS enables you to connect to windows printer. This is a small documentation on how I did it make possible.

I am running my machine on debian lenny 5.0. First I installed cupsys.cupsys-bsd, cupsys-client on my machine using package manager apt.

Then once it is installed you can manage the CUPS using web browser. Access it using the url : http://localhost:631/admin

1. Then added the printer by clicking add printer.
2. This will take you to another page where you need to provide the name you like to use, Location and description.
3. Once you click on Continue you will reach another place where you will be asked to select the printer.
4. For me it was HP laser jet. Next you will be asked to give device url.
There for me it was socket://hostname:9100
5. You will get information on this from the link Network Printers ont he same page.
6. Once you forward it will ask you to provide the manufacturer for the printer which was HP for me.
7. Then you will be asked to select driver. I selected the first one.
8. This will prompt you to add username and password which is the root and root password of machine respectively.

This will add the printer.
Give a test page to print in order to verify if the add was successful.
For fedora also the same way with one difference. For fedora the cups will be already installed. The rest is the same.
Enjoy printing!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment